Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mariam

I spent a bit of time thinking about Mary tonight, a figure that I admittedly don't typically find myself focusing much on during the Lenten season. But tonight at the dance (Matt and I have taken up a new wednesday night obsession, Dances of Universal Peace - not easily explained in words, but basically a time of song/mantra and simple circular dance inspired by various religious practices www.peaceworksdancesna.org) we did a dance in the Islamic tradition honoring Mariam (Mary), apparantly the equivalent of a saint in the Muslim world (which I did not know, but found quite enjoyable). Basically it just got me thinking of her, and how this type of preparation was one for her as well. Of her undying faith and acceptance, and of her humility.

She's a pretty rad lady. Maybe there should be another 40 days dedicated solely to her....

No comments:

Post a Comment